If you’re looking for a must-do activity at the beach in Costa Rica, it’s to go boating. Out of all the water activities, boating is my favorite way to experience the waters because the views, landscapes and scenery are completely different than what you see from land.
When you go boating in Costa Rica you get to visit hidden beaches not reachable by foot, possibly see some dolphins, whales, turtles or other marine wildlife and you get a different yet amazing view of the Costa Rican landscapes.
If you visit the Gulf of Papagayo area, you’ll have an amazing time if you explore as there are a ton of stunning viewpoints and beautiful secret beaches around. Every time we show our fellow travelers one of these places, they are left speechless since they are completely different to the beaches right next door.
We recently went boating around the Gulf and every time we go is different. You really can’t predict what you’ll see out at sea, we’ve seen whales, dolphins, turtles and even whale sharks before! Read our boating in the Papagayo Gulf experience.
This time we went was one of my favorites because it was a spontaneous trip and we saw the clearest, brightest waters I’ve ever seen in Costa Rica. Sometimes words aren’t enough so I’ll let the photos do the talking for me.
Why You Should Go Boating in Costa Rica
To visit secret beaches like these ones…
To see views like these…
To see waters like these…
And to have moments like these…
Tips for Going Boating in Costa Rica
- Read more about Marcy boat tours and book your trip.
- It’s best to go in the morning so you can have the whole day, especially if you plan on snorkeling since it’s better in the morning. If you’re visiting in rainy season, it’s definitely best to go in the morning.
- Bring a waterproof bag – in the small boats or “pangas” water will get into the boat and you will get wet. If you go in rainy season you will definitely need one since it can start raining all of a sudden.
- Bring snacks, lots of water and drinks, towels, sunglasses, hat and plenty of sunscreen .
- Bring ziplock and plastic bags for your electronics and camera.
Want to read about other fun water activities? Here you go!